[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX 0.3.0 "Chemnitzer Linux-Tage Edition"

John Nicholls john_nicholls at internode.on.net
Sat Mar 12 23:35:45 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 22:27, Fabian Franz wrote:

> Quick installation notes
> ========================

I thought I would pass on my experience upgrading using this technique

> Please note that any previous installation instruction that says "Use nxsetup
> - --setup-nomachine-key" must be updated to "nxsetup --install
> - --setup-nomachine-key".
>
> To upgrade from 0.2.8 to 0.3.0 on distributions, which have FreeNX installed
> in /usr/bin, you _could_ do:

I just upgraded from 2.5 to 0.3.1-pre (using the freenx-0.3.1-pre.diff patch)

> cp -a freenx-0.3.0/nx* /usr/bin

After doing this step, I did,
cd /usr/bin
./nxsetup --install --setup-nomachine-key

I am running a "home grown" system, so the next paragraph may not be
necessary for most of you,

As I already had a nx user I needed to edit the /etc/password file using vipw
and change the nx home directory to the new location at /var/lib/nxserver/home,
so now the nx user looks like,

nx:x:1021:52100::/var/lib/nxserver/home:/usr/bin/nxserver

(be careful if you decide to upgrade this way, if you have never heard of vipw,
don't try this)

> Please note that it is encouraged you wait until updated packages are available;
> otherwise you will need to take care of the new file /usr/bin/nxloadconfig
> yourself.

I deleted the old directories /var/lib/nxserver/closed,failed,running as the
new ones are now at /var/lib/nxserver/db/closed,failed,running

I then logged into nx and everything worked OK, so I decided to upgrade a remote
server, I followed the same steps, but when I tried to log in, the connection
was rejected.

I finally tracked to problem down to the wrong permissions on the newly created
file authorized_keys2 located in the /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh directory.
For some weird reason the permissions were 664 -rw-rw-r--
I changed them to 644 -rw-r--r-- with the command chmod 644 authorized_keys2,
which fixed the problem.

Now that's out of the way I suppose I should upgrade the NX libraries to the
latest development snapshot......

> Another nice feature is that you can now install and run FreeNX and a commercial
> NoMachine NX server on the same machine without interference. This is
> implemented in FreeNX by forwarding the connection to the NoMachine installed
> on the same machine.
>
> To enable this feature set this directive: ENABLE_NOMACHINE_FORWARD="1"
>
> To connect to the NoMachine server, use the standard username/password
> credentials. To connect to the FreeNX server prepend "freenx." to the normal
> username (like "freenx.joedoe") and use the same password for the user.

Perfect!

John