[FreeNX-kNX] Rootless vs Proxy mode -- Is there a speed difference?

Jonathan Chen jonachen at cisco.com
Thu Mar 10 16:38:05 UTC 2005

> to answer the question from your "subject":
>
> Yes, there is a speed difference. In Proxy mode no roundtrips
> can be eliminated, which is very important if you are on a
> high latency connection.

I am aware but want to do a  "Just in case I'm wrong, I should ask."  I
thought "maybe" the new release might fix the problem but I'm tilting toward
no already since the core codes is from nomachine.com(thanks nomachine).

> > I am wondering if there is a difference if you were running gui app
> > like Eclipse in rootless mode or not?  It's good to run in rootless
> > mode because less memory and other resources are consumed
> vs KDE + Eclipse w/Proxy??
>
> Please distingiush between running an application in a
> "floating window" and in a "virtual desktop".

Yes, I meant floating window.

> If you run an application in a "virtual desktop", nxagent is
> started and you have roundtrip elimination.
>
> If you run an application in "floating window" mode and you
> have ENABLE_ROOTLESS="0" then nxproxy will be started instead
> of nxagent and you neither can suspend sessions nor have
> roundtrip elimination.
>
> If you set ENABLE_ROOTLESS="1", nxagent will be started and
> you might be able to suspend the session, but that is still
> experimental.

Good to know and great explanaition.

Thanks for all involved in the project.