[FreeNX-kNX] poor performance over ADSL - what settings are best?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Thu Mar 10 15:08:41 UTC 2005

Hi,

I just deployed freenx-0.3.0 on my home machine and run a mail client
over NX from work (normally I use VNC to see the whole desktop).

I noticed that performance is rather bad, it's worse than that of VNC
vino-server / KRDC (using low quality), not to mention when I connect
from home to workstations at work using Windows Terminal Sessions, which
just works as a blast when compared to NX and VNC.

The most disappointing fact is that NX has to refresh the whole window
(for example, when I run Mozilla Thunderbird like now over NX) whenever
it gets minimized - and it takes as long as 5 or more seconds when the
screen is just blank (sometimes it takes less, but mostly more).

I'm just not used to it after using VNC - with VNC when I minimized a
window and then maximized it there wasn't a need for a refresh (VNC
client kept everything in memory and didn't loose it when minimized like
NX does).

Other thing is setting "link quality" - although I have it set to
"Modem", and I tried different encodings, I didn't notice any difference.
Maybe it (different encodings) just doesn't work with freenx? I tried
setting "custom JPEG image compression" from 0 to 9, but I noticed no
speed difference (and even no quality difference, which should be the
case with JPEG, right?).

I have a 2Mbit down / 20 kB uplink at home, and 1 Mbit symmetric link at
work; uplink at home is at about 50% when I use NX (it uses 6-8 kB/s
when I use NX), and my work link is basically not used.
I don't use SSL tunneling, so it's not a factor for the "slowness".

So any ideas how to improve NX experience would be welcome (especially
this window refreshing when minimized/maximized is annoying).

Tomek