[FreeNX-kNX] single user non-root freenx

John Nicholls john_nicholls at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 9 21:48:03 UTC 2005

> FreeNX aims to be a full free server implementation, which is at least
> as good as the one from NoMachine. While we get lots of goodies through the
> nice architecture, we also get the "limitations". Most of these limitations
> can't be easily overcome, because almost all users are still using the
> commercial NX client. So even if we had an option in FreeNX to not use the
> nx-user, it won't help as long as there is no GPL NX Client for all supported
> platforms."
>
> Source: http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=FreeNX_FAQ

Fabian, I just had a look at the FreeNX_FAQ (a very good work in
progress)

An excellent command line client to add is Lawrence's nxconnect, he sent
me the source a few days, I had no trouble building it on my "arm"
board. I use it in interactive mode [-i] and simply enter my login id
and password...... 7 seconds after pressing enter, I am looking at my
desktop.

I have a feeling that if he finds the time, Lawrence may be the "one" to
come up with a lightweight GPL NX client that supports all platforms.
(equivalent to the NoMachine client)

I have tried kNX but it is tightly integrated with the KDE libraries (as
you would expect being a KDE project). I needed a lightweight NX client
for a project that I have been working on for a few years now and
nxconnect is just what I was looking for.

Thanks Guys,

John