[FreeNX-kNX] single user non-root freenx

Robert Brewer rwb123 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:40:06 UTC 2005

I'm trying to get freenx going to allow remote access to my work Linux
box (from my home Linux box).  Although I have ssh access to the work
box, I do not have root access on it, so I cannot create the nx user,
nor can I run the services as root.  Getting my IT dept to set this up
for me is not a short term option.

Can anyone point me to a simple way of running the freenx server for a
single user on a single box?  I used dxpc (differential X protocol
compressor) a few years ago, and I recall it was very simple to setup
compared to this freenx stuff.  Just run the server and client
programs on each end of an ssh tunnel, and set up the DISPLAY
variables on each end appropriately.  My work box is running Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 3, and my home box is running Debian sid.

Any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks!

-Rob
--
Robert W. Brewer