Fwd: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Client works, server doesn't

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Thu Mar 3 18:45:19 UTC 2005

FYI.

- ----------  Weitergeleitete Nachricht  ----------

Subject: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Client works, server doesn't
Date: Donnerstag, 3. März 2005 18:41
From: LROUFAIL at nc.rr.com
To: Frank Mulder <frank at kde.nl>
Cc: FabianFranz at gmx.de

I am copying Fabian.  He can explain better than me perhaps.

First of all, nxserver is not a service, so it does not show up in the
 process table.

The way it works is when you ssh to the server using a special user, it
 creates a special shell that communicates with the client and initiates the
 NX session.  This session is an instance of NX agent that responds to just
 that one session and then goes away when you are done.  So the NX agent
 process does not show up until you authenticate and request that a session
 is started.  You are not getting that far.

When it says it is already running, I think it means that it looked and found
 that the key file for the special user was already in place.  When you stop
 the server, it just hides the key file so the special user cannot log in.  I
 think that when you removed the original installation you may have left some
 things behind - or maybe it is started by default.

The nx user is the special user that the NX Client and Server use.  The SSH
 session is set up for that user.  Once it creates the ssh session and talks
 to the client, it spawns another session for your real user, 'Jack'.

Someone put it well - the nx user is used to set up a connection so you can
 get to a login prompt.  This nx session gets the login parameters and uses
 them to create the session for your user.  The key for the nx user that is
 distributed with the nomachine client must match the key that is installed
 with the server.  That's why it is simpler to use the --setup-nomachine-key
 option.  That way you do not have to change the key for the client.

So, what you can do is forget about the nx stuff and just try to create an
 ssh connection with the server for the nx user.

ssh -i /usr/NX/share/client.id_dsa.key nx at 192.168.1.6

If that doesn't work, then you probably have the keys messed up on the
 server.  It is either the old key from your last install, or maybe a
 permission problem.

 - L