[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX Use Case question

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Thu Jun 16 17:01:11 UTC 2005

On do, 2005-06-16 at 12:00 -0400, LROUFAIL at nc.rr.com wrote:
> On do, 2005-06-16 at 08:17 -0400, LROUFAIL at nc.rr.com wrote:
>
> >>I get a script error when trying to install it in Firefox, see
> >>http://kaarsemaker.net/~dennis/Screenshot.png
>
> Hmm.  I haven't seen this yet.  Can you tell me your version of
> firefox?  There is a firefox install log, too.  If you can find it it
> would be very helpful.

1.0.2 with 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 security patches applied (Package from my
distribution). I never knew about this plugin install log, it's quite
useful :)

file:///home/dennis/Desktop/moznx.xpi  --  2005-06-16 14:40:07

     MozNX NX Client Plugin (version 0.1.00)
     ----------------------

     ** Line: 0 can't convert Error to string
     ** Line: 16        File.prototype.fileExists called on incompatible
Install

     Install **FAILED** with error -229  --  2005-06-16 14:40:56

> >>Hmm, almost what I am looking for. Maybe I should be more precise: The
> >>client sends a session type and (if the session is unix-custom) an
> >>application name. The nx server acts upon them. I want the NX server
> >>respond the same (starting a specific single program in a unix-custom
> >>session) regardless of what the user sends, this because there is only
> >>one application that the users should start. Is this possible without
> >>hacking the nxserver scripts?
>
> I think the only way would be to hack the server script (which is not
> too hard, it is just bash), or to use a custom client that will only
> invoke the application they are supposed to.  You can keep them from
> using the standard client by keeping the password from them.

That would be security through obscurity :)
I'll hack the bash scripts.
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org