[FreeNX-kNX] non-root install of freenx server in a linux environment

Cardon Denis denis.cardon at tranquilitsystems.com
Sat Jun 11 20:38:28 UTC 2005

Hi Brandon,

if you have root access to an other computer on the network (for example
your own computer), then you can try to install freenx on your own
computer and then set up the DISPLAY on the application server to send
application on your new nx server (the nx server will do compression for
exported applications). This way, no need for root access on the
application server.

if you don't have a linux around and just have windows on your
workstation, you can still install a vmware and host a linux+freenx
inside, but that may require admin rights.

if you have no computer with admin rights, one last solution would be to
install a qemu emulator, I don't think it requires root access for
installation, then you install a linux as guest os, install freenx, do
some tricky userspace port forwarding, and then you check if it works
fast enough to be usable :-)

Well,  the easiest thing would perhaps be to fire the admins and find
new ones.

Cheers,

Denis