[FreeNX-kNX] questions from newbie

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Fri Jul 22 11:23:50 UTC 2005

On 22 July 2005 02:31, Trace Green wrote:
> 2. How can i get the same screen as server?
> When i changed my computer to gnome, yes , i can connect to it in
> another computer through nxclient, but, it seems i get a new session, i
> want to control my computer just as x11vnc, use the same session so that
> the man in front of my computer can see my operation.

I don't know if this is already done in NX or FreeNX (I'm quite behind with
following the very active development) but the way of doing what you want is
having xdm (the flavour you're using, i.e. flat xdm or gdm or kdm or
whatever) start your local session as an NX client first. Then when you go
home, you live your session on or you suspend it, but you don't close it.
Once at home, you make a session request to the same NX server on which you
had your session opened at work and the server will either suspend an already
existing session and give to you the control at the distance, or will just
reactivate a suspended session.

Well, there are two issues with this scheme right now. I don't think the
session managers (xdm, gdm, kdm) have already support for NX. (But this can
be worked around, I didn't test anything, so I'll leave it as an exercise).
The other issue is how well "roaming" sessions (ones that can be opened from
different locations at different times) work already. Didn't test that
either.

As you understand, NX can't take a normal X session and export it at a
distance, because it would need to hijack the X protocol communication
between the X server and the local display, which I don't think is a feasible
thing (not with the technologies we have right now).

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org