[FreeNX-kNX] nxlibs 1.5.0 and FreeNX 0.4.x

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Jul 12 15:23:48 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 13:54, Gian Filippo Pinzari wrote:
> Terje Andersen wrote:
> > Is there any chance that !M has any archive that I can download the
> > Snapshot 3 from?
>
> Managing archives requires disk-space that requires more time to do
> back-ups that requires more people handling the Web infrastructure, and
> this just to make possible to download an old version of the software
> that one out of 100 is interested in downloading. I don't think this
> pays the bill. It's simpler to fix the problem in the software and
> upload a new version. The reason why we didn't upload a new version,
> as of yet, is because there are important changes to multiple compo-
> nents that might -really- break things. If a token overflow (something
> that, it is possible to fix by changing 1 line) requires all this over-
> head, imagine the overhead that would be caused by a set of components
> that do not even compile ;-).
>
> This is software under -heavy- development and I think that, if you
> are interested in development, you should keep your own archive of
> the development versions. I also suggest that FreeNX sets up its own
> CVS/SVN.

FreeNX has this already (but not for the NoMachine-provided 99% of
code it uses)...

I assume you meant that we should create a repository that archives
all your released source code tarballs, and if possible, import those
into an SVN or CVS repository?

We are certainly interested in doing this. We surely will also be able
to find the necessary HD and bandwidth resources, and provide the
necessary administration overhead by volunteer helpers.

What are your suggestions to bring this about? (We can also continue
the discussion in private mail, if you prefer).

> We have our own develpment model that requires that software
> is delivered in "versions", not patches, but I think that a CVS/SVN
> would really help all those who are only interested in getting the
> latest version without incurring in the overhead of following the
> NoMachine releases.
>
> /Gian Filippo.

Cheers,
Kurt