[FreeNX-kNX] PAM authentication doesn't work

Martin Honermeyer maze at strahlungsfrei.de
Tue Jul 12 13:59:40 UTC 2005

Hello,

I've been trying different configurations and settings, but i've been unable
to get people to authenticate with PAM (/etc/passwd) so far. They have to
be added to the passdb with

nxserver --adduser user
nxserver --password user

in order to be able to login.

I've tried the following (in node.conf):

ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="0"
ENABLE_SSH_AUTHENTICATION="1" (alternatively ENABLE_SU_AUTHENTICATION="1")
ENABLE_USER_DB="0"

I also enabled PasswordAuthentication in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and added the
nx user to the wheel group. Same problem every time
(from /var/log/nxserver.log, with log level set to 7):

-- NX SERVER START:
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-04-CVS OS (GPL)
NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 1.4.0
NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 1.4.0
NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
NX> 105 login
NX> 101 User: martin
NX> 102 Password:
Info: Auth method: ssh su
NX> 404 ERROR: wrong password or login
NX> 999 Bye

I am using FreeNX from _CVS_ and the third 1.5.0 NoMachine source snapshot,
I think.

So what's the right way to get this going?

Greetz,
Martin