[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX "maintenance" scripts

Jonathan Chen (jonachen) jonachen at cisco.com
Fri Jul 1 17:23:34 UTC 2005

> >  If somehow a user tries to log onto a server and then
> suddenly decides
> > to not connect in the middle of a login, FreeNX will sometimes have
> > /tmp/.nX###, /tmp/.X1### and /tmp/.X11-unix/1### left behind.
>
> Good catch, I knew that, but I did always "forget" it,
> because it is quite
> tricky to avoid. But as you noticed it as a problem, sure
> thing lets fix it.

Agree that is tricky because I've seen cases where only the .nX1### is
left behind or sometimes it can be the .X1### or /.X11-unix/1###.

> Also very bad is the handling of nxagent termination at the
> moment. (It is not
> for sure that nxagent is terminated)

I've written a script to supplement the nxserver --terminate command.
For some reason, everytime I try to terminate the nxserver way, it only
removes the nx session on NX db but not the actual running process.

> FreeNX should in that case suspend the session.

True in 98% of the case.  But would be nice if there is checking feature
to be sure that a session is in suspended mode and not a "ghost"
session.

> I'm sorry, but you'll have to upgrade to 0.4.2 once the
> upgrades and patches
> are in ...
>
> Its just too much work to handle two stable trees at once.

Also I'm glad that I did not upgrade to 0.4.0.   I should thank Rick
Stout for discovering the GNOME problem that had me hesitating on
upgrading. =)

2 stable tree as in 0.4.x and 0.5.x ?

Thanks for the great work!   I asked in this ML to see if anyone has my
type of problems and maybe resolved it by writing their own scripts to
resolve or make things easier for managing NX.   I hate to reinvent the
wheel if someone has already written something similar.

-Jonathan