[FreeNX-kNX] Re: floppy, cdrom access for roaming users

Chris Fanning christopher.fanning at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 13:19:51 UTC 2005

> You are sitting at machine:
>
> 192.168.0.1 and start a session:
>
> NXUSERIP=192.168.0.1
>
> and smb://$NXUSERIP/fd does work and you are happy.
>
> Now you detach from your work by suspending the session.
>
> You move to another machine and resume the session from:
>
> 192.168.0.2
>
> But $NXUSERIP is still: 192.168.0.1 and even nxserver --list lists still
> 192.168.0.1 (according to the Code)
>
> So you can't access your local floppy drive.
>
> The sessionid will remain the same in a suspend/resume situation.
>
> So the added complexity allows suspending/resuming session with automatic
> update of the .desktop files.
>
> Or how would you do that in this situation?

Sorry, I didn't realise what you were saying.

Before, we used export NXUSERIP=$userip in nxnode because ...

>I thought that better not to call it from within nxnode because not
>all sessions want this.

This was possible because we can run a script, when the desktop
starts, from the desktop.
Can we run a script from the desktop when the session is resumed? Is
the desktop "session resumed" aware? My guess is No. Is that right?
So, does that mean we're back to calling icon creation/refreshing from
within nxnode?

I have not yet tried to suspend a session. How do you do that? From an
option on the Desktop?
Yes, you're right. This should contemplate the suspend/resume
situation. Tell me how to suspend and I'll do the test. ok?

As for Exec[$e]=smb://$(echo $NXUSERIP)/fd
http://webcvs.kde.org/*checkout*/kdelibs/kio/DESKTOP_ENTRY_STANDARD
here are 4 types of desktop entries: Application(1), Link(2),
FSDevice(3) and Directory(4).
key type: Exec Program to execute, possibly with arguments. Desktop
entry type:  1

I think that the icon should be of type2 "Link" (Can anyone confirm
that?). If this is the case, Exec cannot be used. I don't think that
matters because the complete icon.desktop file can be recreated with
the setup_icon --startup|resume script.

Then there is different approach but I don't know if it's possible.
Can we associate /etc/fstab file to an nxsession?
Can we do something like this to /etc/fstab ?

//$NXUSERIP/fd /mnt/floppy smbfs username=$USER,password=***,port=139 0 0

If this is possible it is a much cleaner solution. The idea of using a
desktop icon has the limitation that the floppy can only be accesed
via the desktop icon. Using this fstab approach, the floppy can be
accesed from all references to the floppy on the sistem. eg. konqueror
file:floppy

What do you think?