[FreeNX-kNX] nxshell...

Marcus Schäfer ms at suse.de
Thu Jan 27 10:46:35 UTC 2005

Hi,

> > some time ago I introduced a rewritten version of nxtunnel.
> > I'm sorry I didn't spend some thoughts on the name clash I create
> > concering the currently public version of nxtunnel so hopefully
> > nobody is feeling offended.
>
> No problem about that.
>
> It seems to be a very nice rewrite with very good and clear bash code.

Thanks that's because it was not easy to read and understand
the nxtunnel code :-)

> However I'm missing the improvements, we made in the last version of nxtunnel
>
> - - namely the usage of ssh -X as a channel for communication
>
> It seems to still use the old way of guessing a socket, but this could also
> just be old and obsoleted code, I just today took a very quick view on it.

Hmm, do you mean the local communication between the nxproxy and the
ssh process ? This is done in the same way using X11 port forwarding.
The major difference is the synchronizing part. I'm using netcat and
a small C written program to open the display for checking the
availability to XOpenDisplay(). Another major difference are the
usage of ports. All ports are forwared via ssh this solves many
problems within masqueraded networks.

Well you can find the current version on ftp, would be great if
somebody can test it. Unfortunately I build the package for SuSE
only so I'm quite sure there may be problems on other systems.
I'm open for any enhancement ;)

Thanks

Regards
Marcus
--
 Public Key available
 Marcus Schäfer (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX GmbH