[FreeNX-kNX] NXSERVER - PAM Authenticatin failed - Depend Linux Distribuition]

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Thu Jan 27 04:34:02 UTC 2005

Am Montag, 3. Januar 2005 13:55 schrieb Adriano Frare:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I am using NX Free Server version 1.40 - 0.27 for LINUX and client WIN
> XP NOMACHINE 1.4.0-75. When I use this configuration of fiel NXSERVER
> below in TAOLINUX (similar RHEL3):

> # This adds PAM to the possible authentification methods
> ENABLE_PAM_AUTHENTICATION="1"
> # 0 = all users can login, 1 = only added users can login
> ENABLE_USER_DB="0"
> # When set to 0, auth using internal password database is completely
> disabled
> ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="0"
> # 1
>
> # When set to 1 this will automatically resume started sessions
> ENABLE_AUTORECONNECT="0"
>
> # When set to 1 this will automatically resume started sessions
> # but only if an older client version is used
> ENABLE_AUTORECONNECT_BEFORE_140="1"
>
> The authentication work!!!
>

> But When I use same configuration on Conectiva Linux 9 (similar RedHat
> 9) the authentication failed. But , when I change configuration for
> using DB nxserver , the authentication process work.
>

> =============== LOG ERROR ======Conectiva Linux 9 ==================
> HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-02 OS_(GPL)
> NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 1.4.0
> NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 1.4.0
> NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
> NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
> NX> 105 login
> NX> 101 User: afrare
> NX> 102 Password:
> NX> 404 ERROR: wrong password or login
> NX> 999 Bye
>

> I guess the error  should be on PAM MODULE or nxnode.

This seems due to a bug in nxnode-login. I think adding a -- before the
parameters could help in case the expect version is too old.

nxnode-login -- "$USER" [...] --check

Please also think about trying to use nxnode manually.

Login with normal ssh to your machine and do:

read -s P; echo "$P" | nxnode-login	user host 	"-p22" --check ; unset P

And if this gives an error, try to do the same with:

read -s P; echo "$P" | nxnode-login	-- user host "-p22" --check ; unset P

Btw. this "bug" is now fixed in CVS, but I dunno if CVS has other problems at
the moment. (I'm committing all patches, which I can find at the moment)

cu

Fabian