[FreeNX-kNX] Re: Problem sending 'switch' command to nxssh (Was: Re: Need help to get nxproxy & nxssh working over encrypted connection)

LROUFAIL at nc.rr.com LROUFAIL at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 23:08:22 UTC 2005

This helps quite a bit.

While all this may seem obvious to you, it is not to me, and it is counter to how it has worked in the past.

For example, my understanding was that nxssh set up the port forwarding and then started nxproxy to use that port to talk to the server.

Now you are saying that nxssh connects to nxproxy once the proxy is already running.  I hadn't tried that because it looked like nxproxy tries to connect to the server as soon as it is running, and so I didn't think I could start the proxy until I had switched the connection (and then I thought I was going to have to manually redirect the proxy to nxssh somehow through a locally forwarded port or through stdin/stdout).

Also I think you are saying -D goes out the window with SSH now because you are forcibly disabling the port forwarding, but that the switch command basically tells nxssh the same thing - which port to use to communicate with the proxy.

So this helps but is there any methodology to which port is chosen because it does not look like it comes from the server.  I am thinking about just picking a random port between 3000 and 4000 and being done with it.

I am just spelling all this out so if I am wrong you can correct me and everyone can benefit.

My real goal was just to use the session interface in nxcompsh to embed this stuff and never figure out how all the internals work - so I admit to being a bit dense when it comes to the details.

I don't see any reason to figure this out by trial and error when you already know the answers.

That's what you get for being so responsive!

Thanks,

lawrence