[FreeNX-kNX] Can I keep suspended sessions running?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Jan 25 22:11:05 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 20:15, Sascha Sponholz wrote:
> Surely it has been asked before,

Yes it has, multiple times...   ;-)

> but I am unable to find the answer
> anywhere:

I suggest you to also try the *most excellent* Knowledge Base
section of the NoMachine website. They are updating it almost
daily with extremely valuable information.

You can search it, and it found (at least for me) most answers
I was looking for in seconds, spot on.

   http://www.nomachine.com/kb/index.php

> Is it possible to connect to an NX server, start a GUI application (for
> example a raytracing software),
> disconnect, and reconnect later on to see if the application has
> finished its job?
>
> By now I have successfully created a new session, suspended and
> reconnected to it,
> but it only worked correctly if I have been disconnected for a short
> amount of time.
> I think that the session did not continue to work in my absence but just
> paused
> and waited for me to reconnect.

The answer to your current question can be found here:

   http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/2005-January/000632.html

> Currently I use VNC to achieve my goals, but this is slow.

If you tunnel your VNC session thru NX, it will be faster.

> Will FreeNX be able to do what I need? Is it already possible?

Not now, but later.

Cheers,
Kurt