[FreeNX-kNX] Resize VNC desktop using RANDR extension?

Senthil Nachimuthu senthil at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 7 22:54:17 UTC 2005

I found that a guy at http://www.freesoft.org/software/vncrotation/
has patched the Xvnc server to use the RANDR extension. I installed
the patch. I'm running KDE on a default VNC session that I started
using "vncserver".

After KDE starts, I can now rotate the X desktop in the KDE session.
But I cannot resize it.

If I run the xrandr command, it only lists one display mode, 1024x768
(with refresh rate listed as 0).

How do I enable the XVnc server to know all the modes supported by
the plain X server on my Linux machine, so that I can change it using
the xrandr extension?

Has anyone achieved this (with any desktop manager for that matter)?

He describes a procedure for fvwm2 on his website, but it's not very
clear to me (I'm not an expert :( ) and I dont know how to use the
same technique for KDE.

I need this because I connect from different computers with differnet
resolutions, and I want to use the maximum available resolution. I
dont want to export display 0 because it's a security risk - someone
can get into my server on site, and do bad things when the terminal
is open.

Thanks.

Senthil.

Thanks,