[FreeNX-kNX] why is initial authentication/connecting so slow?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Tue Feb 22 14:41:52 UTC 2005

Gian Filippo Pinzari wrote:

>> What is a ssh log? A normal system log that logs ssh connections?
>> There's only normal stuff in it.
>>
>> What is the session output?
>

> You are new to NX, aren't you. Check the .nx directory in your home.
> Use the 'find' utility to locate the files.

not anymore :)

OK, found them.

Hmm, I don't know, these files look pretty normal and I don't see
anything unusual there.
I can attach them if you want.

>>> Can it be that the slowness is related to resolving entries
>>> when xauth is run on the client?
>>

>> I don't know?
>> How to check it?
>

> Try running the 'xauth list' and the 'xauth add ...' command. That's
> the way nxclient checks or creates the X cookie.
>
>> What "resolving entries" do you refer to?

there are few entries when I do 'xauth list'; 'xauth add ...' and then
'xauth list' work fast, everything is added and listed.

I removed this file, and now there is only one entry in it:

there are entries with a hostname:

my_hostname/unix:13   MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1   some-hex-value

I can ping my_hostname (it's in /etc/hosts), it doesn't resolve though
through 'host my_hostname' (and I think it shouldn't anyway).

> xauth tries to reverse the names. This can take long if there are
> many entries in .Xauthority and/or if any of them can't be resolved.

As I said there were only a few entries, now there is on with a name
from /etc/hosts, so everything should be OK.
Both hosts are in /etc/hosts on respective machines and can ping each
other using hostnames.

These are the times of different stages when connecting using
nomachine's nxclient:

Connecting to...		2 s
Waiting authentication		12 s
Authentication completed	20 s
Negotiating link parameters and rest 10 s

So in total 45 seconds or more.
This may vary a bit.

So I repeat my question: how long do these all parts take for you?

Normal ssh login takes 2-3 seconds (it takes that long/short whether I
use a key or a password).

Tomek