[FreeNX-kNX] Problems with custom connections, vnc passwords

John Pedersen charles.pedersen at sri.com
Sat Dec 24 20:05:05 UTC 2005

Folks,

I have been using FreeNX for about a year now and recently moved from
the 1.4 protocol version to the 1.5 protocol version.

Since the change over I have been unable to run single app windows in
either virtual desktop or floating window mode.

My windows box client won't even connect to the server (at least there's
no nxserver.log activity) and throws the following error:
NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 1796
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 200 Connected to address: 128.18.40.187 on port: 22
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

My client on an FC4 box connects draws the desktop and then exits.

I was able to do this on the previous major version of NX.

Another thing I noticed was that although vnc passwords are supposed to
be 8 characters or less, tightvnc and ultravnc which we use on windows
boxes at work, will allow you to input a longer password on the server
which their clients can use, but the vnc client backend to NX cannot.
Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Finally is there one place on the NoMachine site where you can get a
comprehensive reference to the server configuration?  Its probably me,
but I find the doc section a bit hard to navigate.

And less anyone think otherwise, I really do appreciate the work that
everyone has put into this product.  I use it all the time to monitor
machines that lie inside our corporate firewall.  Amazing
responsiveness, even from a Starbucks on the east coast.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to solve or troubleshoot
this issues, I'd really appreciate it.

Happy Holidays to all

John Pedersen
Sr. Systems Engineer