[FreeNX-kNX] major problems with xsessions on ubuntu breezy after installation of third maintenance release of NoMachine server deb

Julian Robbins julian.robbins at q-par.com
Mon Dec 19 17:44:40 UTC 2005

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Monday 19 December 2005 12:21, Julian Robbins wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I've just installed the 3rd maintenenace release of the nomachine deb on
>>my Ubuntu Breezy 5.10 box.
>>
>>Now, i can't get clients to attach, either Windows ( 1.50-103) or linux
>>(1.50 -135).
>

> Could it be that you do not have a license for NoMachine's NX server ??
>
> [....]

I should have said, but i DO have a small business server licence ;-)

>>Fatal server error:
>>could not open default font 'fixed'
>

> OK, it is not the missing license (though that will expire some day soon
> if you are using an evaluation version). It is the font not found in the
> expected location.
>
> What is the output of these commands:
>
> --> "grep AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_X /usr/NX/etc/node.cfg"
> --> "ls -ld /usr/share/{X11,X11/fonts,/X11/fonts/misc}"
> --> "ls -ld /usr/X11R6/{lib,lib/X11,lib/X11/fonts,lib/X11/fonts/misc}/"
> --> "ls -l /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/ | wc -l"
> --> "ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/ | wc -l"
> --> "fc-match fixed"
>
> ?

NoMachine have emailed me offlist to help, bless en !

>>I'm out of my 30 day support, so hope FreeNX can help !

Although I have a licence, I'm out of my 30 days official support, and I
coudlnt see any means to add a trouble tciket to their support on their
website.

> Usually, NO! Plain and simple.
>
> Your 30 day evaluation is meant to give you a fair chance of testing
> the NoMachine NX server. If you want to continue to use it after the
> 30 days are over, go buy a license or a support contract.  Also, it
> seems to me you agreed to remove the NoMachine version from your box
> after 30 days if you do not want to continue to use it (and to buy a
> license if you do decide otherwise.
>
> If you want a gratis NX server forever, then install and use FreeNX
> (and live with the limitations there are here).

I'm a firm believer of GPL and open Source, we usea  lot of Open Source
here at the company. In this case however, as it was cheap, and easy to
install, I went for the commercial version in thsi case.