[FreeNX-kNX] tips for killing apps when session disconnects

Kurt Raschke kurt at raschke.net
Wed Dec 14 21:24:12 UTC 2005

On Dec 14, 2005, at 4:08 PM, Tim Jordan wrote:

> I'm running into a small problem.  When connected to my FreeNX server
> from my Windows box at work I sometimes VPN out to a client site
> and my
> NX connection dies.  Then when I want to restart my NX session I
> connect
> and get a new NX session.  Not a big deal but if I had my
> Mozilla-thunderbird mail open when my session disconnected I can not
> reopen my thunderbird profile.
>
> Is any way I can make sure thunderbird is killed if my NX session is
> dropped on the client end?
>
> Is it possible for FreeNX to suspend the session if the session is
> lost
> on the clients end?

I would agree that in the long run FreeNX should try to detect a loss
of connectivity or other failure and automatically suspend the
session, but in any case you can run nxserver --suspend <username> to
suspend the session, so that you can reconnect to it.

For some reason nxserver --suspend has to be run as root even if
you're suspending your own session; that'll pose a problem for people
who don't have root on the machine they're connecting to.

-Kurt