[FreeNX-kNX] FUSE / SSHFS

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Dec 12 17:25:45 UTC 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 16:01, Mark Arrasmith wrote:
> On Monday 12 December 2005 01:57, Murray Trainer wrote:
> > Just discovered and tried out sshfs.
> >
> > http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html
>
> Another ssh filesystem that works rather well is ...
>      http://shfs.sourceforge.net
> I've used it on several different kernel versions and linux distros.
>
> Though if you are logging into a Linux box with KDE installed you can just use
> Konq to access any computer that you can log on a running ssh server (be it a
> windows, linux, or osx) with fish:// or sftp://
>
> For example you can install openssh on your windows client ...
>      http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html
> Log into your freenx server and point konq back at your client with ...
>     fish://username@client.ip.address/
>
> If your client gets a dynamic IP that you don't know you can grab it from
> "nxserver --list" on the freenx server.  If we could just tunnel over the
> existing ssh connection it would be better

That's exactly what "nxfish" will be doing  :-)

> ( maybe something like
> fish://username@freenx.server:6022/ would then be tunneled to the clients
> port 22 using the already running nx session ).

The syntax will be a simple "nxfish:/" and it will auto-connect to a
securely shared NX client-side directory named "NX-Share".

On the NX client side, just put anything you want to share with the remote
session into that directory, including symlinks.

On the NX server side, "nxfish:/" in Konqueror (or in the FileOpen and the
SaveAs dialogs) will give you access to that directory.