[FreeNX-kNX] Sound Issues

Mark Arrasmith arrasmith at math.wichita.edu
Fri Dec 9 22:10:41 UTC 2005

Problem: no sound on clients.

Some background ...
Server:
   CentOS 4.2 ( it's based on Redhat Enterprise )
   KDE 3.5
   alsa-lib-1.0.6
   freenx 0.4.4

Clients:
   Thinstation 2.2beta6 or CentOS 4.2 or Win98
   all of them run nxclient 1.5.0

On the server I have /etc/nxserver/node.conf setup with ....
     ENABLE_ESD_PRELOAD="1"
     ESD_BIN_PRELOAD="esddsp"
     ENABLE_ARTSD_PRELOAD="1"
     ARTSD_BIN_PRELOAD="artsdsp"

Also on the server because of the way RedHat handles device control ( when you
login local, not remotely, the audio devices in /dev/ and /dev/snd/ are set
to the login's owership ) I had to set /dev/mixer, /dev/dsp/, /dev/snd/*, etc
to chmod a+rw.  That way arts+KDE don't complain about not being able to
access the sound card.

One extra piece of info ... when I set the nxclient for sound forwarding and
login to the freenx server I get the following error when ever I use su from
konsole ...

     [arrasmith at euclid ~]$ su
     ERROR: ld.so: object 'libesddsp.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be
      preloaded: ignored.
     ERROR: ld.so: object 'libesd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded:
      ignored.
     Password:
     [root at euclid arrasmith]#

Any ideas?  How can I go about getting more debug info?

- mark