[FreeNX-kNX] bandwidth used when client is minimized

Seb Wills saw27 at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 7 14:55:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 December 2005 11:38, Seb Wills wrote:

>>> What compression level on the scale "Modem.....LAN" (the slider widged
>>> in NoMachine NX Client are you using?
>>
>> It was on "ADSL".
>>
>> I just tried with "MODEM", and it seems to be about the same: about
>> 500-600 bytes/sec with an apparently completely static desktop;
>> 2-5kbytes/sec with 1-4 tiny performance monitor graphs in the panel. The
>> bandwidth when running a full-screen screensaver is reduced to about
>> 50kbytes/sec.
>
> For now, NX or FreeNX have no way to discover and react on a condition
> where the NX session display window is mininimized on the NX client.

Yup, OK. I feared that would be the case. Maybe something for the future
of the NX protocol, for any NX developers listening?

> If the applications you use (screensavers, clocks, system monitor applets)
> produce lots of X11 network traffic, there is nothing NX can do about it
> but what it does now: compress the traffic, reduce roundtrips as much as
> possible. There is no known method out there in the wild which does a
> better job at that than what NX currently does. If this is not good enough
> for you, bad luck  :-|

Fair enough. Interestingly, a VNC client I just tested also seems to
continue to guzzle bandwidth when the client is minimized, which is less
excusable since VNC is a pull-based protocol.

Seb