[FreeNX-kNX] ADVICE: How to try out FreeNX

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Tue Aug 9 22:42:39 UTC 2005

Hi,

you want to try out FreeNX?

You have problems to get it to work?

You are confused by hundreds of pages on the internet with mostly outdated
information?

Then _read_ this advice:

To just try it out:

	- Just use Knoppix since 3.6 / Kanotix: On both LiveCDs the server is
          installed and working.

	- Use a _stable_ 1.4.0 client version like those that Knoppix comes with.

		- Old clients can be found here:
*
http://www.nomachine.com/download/nxclient/1.4.0/Windows/nxclient-1.4.0-92.exe
*
http://www.nomachine.com/download/nxclient/1.4.0/Linux-Static-Tar/nxclient-1.4.0-91.i386.tar.gz

General Advice:

	- Do an evaluation of the commercial server first, before bothering
           with FreeNX.

	- Always use FreeNX with the NoMachine / default key.
	  If you want to bother with your own key setup, FreeNX won't support
          it anymore as it is then an SSH problem. Making it as easy
          as possible apparently did not work.

		- In my opinion the whole "keys" issue is void anyway and just
 	         additional security, but difficult to setup. We are using SSH just
     	         for encryption, not necessarily for authentication. We
                 could use SSL instead of course and will look into that
                 in the future.

	- If your distro supports FreeNX directly read what the stable version of
          the software is. Use that if possible.

	- If you answer a question and get advice follow those steps and report
          back, but do not try a 100dred other things.

	Example: We had several problems in the past weeks, where people did not
                        read the advice in the FAQ, which logs we need
                        for debugging.

To summarize the whole thing:

	- Use Knoppix / Kanotix for a quick tryout.

	- Use the commercial evolution server for a quick tryout / installation.

	- Use a stable client version (1.4.0).

	- 1.5.0 backend will just be supported by us, if FreeNX 0.4.4 is used and the
ENABLE_1_5_0_BACKEND directive is enabled.

	- Use the default NoMachine Key.

If you follow this advice, you'll have at at least a success first and then
can try to do things that you want to fine tune.

To all users of this mailing list:

If someone asks a question do ask back directly (whoever is first) if the
following information is not provided:

Distribution, Backend (1.4.0 or 1.5.0 OSS components) used, FreeNX version

For reported problems the following should apply (general good strategy):

- - What did you expect the program to do?
- - What did happen?
- - Exact which _errors_ and _warnings_ did you got?

I hope this advice will make life easier of list-members and project members
and that you'll all be happy with FreeNX.

And I'll now go to Coding and try to detect the common problems.

cu

Fabian