[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX on FreeBSD 5.4

dewey hylton freenx at deweyonline.com
Tue Aug 2 19:32:46 UTC 2005

> From: Raul Carolus <rcarolus at lightyeardt.com>
> Subject: [FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX on FreeBSD 5.4
>
> Hi All,
>
> In my quest to get freenx working well with printing, I managed to
> royally bork my system (screwed up some X libraries bad).  Good thing
> it's a test server.  So I reinstalled Ubuntu 5.04 on it.  I hopped on
> synaptic, installed the kanotix repos and saw freenx 0.4.2 on there.
> Unfortunately Ubuntu is behind the times with libc6 and FreeNX can't be
> installed (via apt).
>
> It made me sad.  So i'm converting that machine to FreeBSD 5.4, and I'm
> wondering if anyone has had success with FreeNX on FreeBSD.  Does anyone
> have any success (horror?) stories to share?
>
> I'm also downloading the current Debian distro, which hopefully will
> work better.  But I like freebsd better.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Raul Carolus
> Lightyear Dealer Technologies

i've had success with freenx on freebsd 4x and 5x. all my testing shows positive
results, though i'm sure i haven't tested all the different scenarios. i'm the
maintainer for the freebsd ports, so pass on any good/bad you find and hopefully
we can knock out any bugs that might get uncovered. an update was committed to
ports just last week, so make sure you're getting the latest ...