[FreeNX-kNX] Sanity check...

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Sun Apr 24 14:40:22 UTC 2005

Am Samstag, 23. April 2005 23:04 schrieb Ed Warnicke:

> Wouldn't it be a better solution to move the:
>
> NX> 710 Session status: running
> into the monitor if clause:
>
> if stringinstring "Info: Waiting for connection from" "$line"
>
> That way you would never get the nxclient sending
> "bye" before the nxagent was actually up and awaiting
> connections?  This *should* also take care of the spurious
> "NX>" problem as well.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I tested it out. When the 710 opcode comes
has _no_ effect at all.

The bye command is just sent after the "Commit, running" 1002 and 1006
messages.

So why does it not have any affect and still helps? Me feels quite puzzled
about that.

Lets get the facts again:

- - netcat does sometimes die with a connection refused. -> This seems to be a
race condition.

- - sleep 3; netcat _helps_ to prevent the race condition

- - NX Client does sent the bye command just after the 1002 Commit, 1006 running
messages. (This is OK, as the session could still fail in between)

- - nxagent does send the "Waiting for Connection from" just after its ready and
this triggers the 1002 Commit and 1006 running messages. -> There should be
no race condition.

=>

I think at the moment we do not have any other chance then to try to send the
netcat command again and again (3 times max as we then also have waited 3
secs) until it works.

I'll add that workaround to CVS. Please test it.

I also will add some more sanity checks in nxnode in general as I now finally
know how to get exit codes from wait (duh!).

- -> You propose starting netcat first and then sending the bye-command. What
would that help?

cu

Fabian