[FreeNX-kNX] NX KDE integration

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Dec 18 18:31:39 UTC 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 10:19, Mario Fux wrote:
> If I'm informed correctly there is no integration into KDE 3.4 nor there is
> the kNX client planed for it?

the client will be moving into the extragear modules. this has a number of
advantages, including the ability to do releases whenever appropriate rather
than when KDE is released. this will allow the client to follow the server
development schedule better. i'm waiting for the extragear rearrangement
before moving it over, however.

> What about the integration in the KDE 4.0 release?

for it to not be half-assed, the integration needs to occur in a number of
places in kdelibs and kdebase. it means being able to know when we are in an
NX session or not (both libs and apps using those libs), and it also means
being able to use NX sessions as transparently as X-over-the-network can be.
it means making kdesktop a lot more network aware than it is right now, etc,
etc... this isn't a 6 month minor release project, really, especially since
i'd prefer this to be done in such a way that it easily augmented with
support for other protocols that may arise. this means the changes are fairly
non-trivial. kde4 should be a good vehicle for this development.

--
Aaron J. Seigo