[FreeNX-kNX] authentication failed message

Rob Thomas welshblob at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 12:56:18 UTC 2004

Hi,
I'm using CentOS3.3 (was Whitebox until a couple of days ago) which
does use PAM. My default settings were ....
ENABLE_PAM_AUTHENTICATION="1"
ENABLE_USER_DB="0"
ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="1"
Which allows users to be PAM authenticated.

After some testing I found this on my system which I'm assuming is
configured correctly ....

1) With
ENABLE_PAM_AUTHENTICATION="1"
ENABLE_USER_DB="1"
ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="1"
System user and nx user can log on with their approriate passwords

2) With
ENABLE_PAM_AUTHENTICATION="1"
ENABLE_USER_DB="1"
ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="0"
User can log on with the system password but not the nx password

3)With
ENABLE_PAM_AUTHENTICATION="0"
ENABLE_USER_DB="0"
Neither system user or nx user can log on

4) With
ENABLE_PAM_AUTHENTICATION="0"
ENABLE_USER_DB="1"
ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="0"
Neither system user or nx user can log on

5) With
ENABLE_PAM_AUTHENTICATION="0"
ENABLE_USER_DB="1"
ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="1"
User can log on with the nx password but not the system password.

6) With
ENABLE_PAM_AUTHENTICATION="1"
ENABLE_USER_DB="0"
ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="1"
User can log on with their system or nx password.

7) With
ENABLE_PAM_AUTHENTICATION="1"
ENABLE_USER_DB="0"
ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="0"
User can log on with system password but not nx password.

I think the above is correct. This is not every permutation of these
parameters or users (I used the same ID within system and nx but
different passwords).
So in answer to your question Roderick yes your understanding in 1 is
correct and it doesn't look as if your PAM authentication is working
properly. Although in 2 because the PAM id must the same as the nx id
then the nx users password is used.
What linux distrib are you using?
Cheers
Rob