[FreeNX-kNX] Connect to NT4 Terminal Server ?

Gian Filippo Pinzari pinzari at nomachine.com
Wed Dec 1 11:25:11 UTC 2004

André Sänger wrote:
> Anyway, if I pass the "-4" paramater to nxdesktop I get to the login
> screen of my NT4 Terminal Server. I added it in /usr/bin/nxnode, line
> 165 like this:

Does FreeNX share the same node.conf format? I think so. In this
case there is a better way to manage this: just add -4 to the
AGENT_EXTRA_OPTIONS_RDP key.

> With that settings I can login to the WTS, but after some time the
> client just quits silently. Log says:
> "End of session requested by remote proxy."

This probably means that the Windows TS disconnected nxdesktop,
nxdesktop exited and the proxy link was closed. It can also be that
nxdesktop exited abnormally and, hopefully, told us why. You should
check the session logs on the server side.

> Is there a better way to pass parameters to nxdesktop? It would be nice
> if I could do this on the client side to optimize both for rdp4 and rdp5
> sessions.

See above.

At the present moment we don't plan to add more configuration para-
meters to the client, we are rather trying to reduce them. We need
to do that without restricting the ability of the user of having
full control of the session settings. My idea is that the client
on the local machine should just start the tunnel and then a GUI
running on the server side should manage the session, including the
desktop parameters. This will require some time to be implemented.
An example of such a design is the NX Manager application. It is
a "NX client" built with a Web GUI, able to perform any operation
nxclient can and obviously much more, as for example the system
management tasks. A future server-side nxclient may be a Web appli-
cation as well, running inside Konqueror or Mozilla. Probably the
switch will happen in version 2.

There have been discussions lately on this topic. Some people don't
realize that having a "fat" client on the local machine helped a
lot in the development. This is not a design choice or a NX limita-
tion. We could have never managed to achieve the required reliabi-
lity without a complete client infrastructure, good error reporting
and full control of the session timelife on the client.

The client GUI will never go away completely. There are things that
we'll still need to do on the client side to manage the NX environ-
ment, but such a GUI will not be required to run a NX session as
we know it today.

/Gian Filippo.