New on this mailing list ;-)

Jens arbeitosaurus at arcor.de
Sat Nov 11 10:16:04 GMT 2023

Hi,

I am new on this mailing list. I am located in Germany.

Yesterday I discovered Falkon as part of the KDE Desktop Environment on
kde.org and installed Falkon on my machine with Debian 12 ("Bookworm") from
the Debian repositories.

I found out that the version of Falkon which the Debian repositories provide
for the current stable Debian 12 version is quite old.

I then posted a toot on Mastodon about myself having discovered the Falkon
browser. Another Mastodon user answered to my toot telling me that the latest
executable file of the MS Windows version of Falkon provided on https://
download.kde.org/Attic/falkon/ is quite old. So first I thought the Falkon
project is "dead".

But then I looked at the Gitlab site at https://invent.kde.org/network/falkon
and found out that there are people currently working on the code of Falkon.

So I cloned the latest Falkon code to my machine this morning, had to install
an appr. extra 2 GB of Debian packages in order to be able to successfully run
cmake to completely configure Falkons source code for compilation, compiled and
then installed the Falkon code into my home directory.

Now I have Falkon in version 24.01.75 installed on my machine.

A little hint: In the Help menu > About Falkon, the "About Falkon" window
still shows "© 2010 - 2018 David Rosca" - wouldn't it be time to give an
update to this time stamp? ;-)

The version of Falkon that comes with Debian 12 ("Bookworm") from its
repositories also has the time stamp "© 2010 - 2018 David Rosca".

I think I could do some QA for the Falkon project, maybe also some
translations into German, if necessary.

Regards,

Jens