[KDE Eco] "On Being Anxious About Digital Carbon Emissions"

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Mon Jun 19 17:46:49 BST 2023

Short article reflecting on individual behavioral changes with the goal
of reducing digital carbon emissions.

   *On Being Anxious About Digital Carbon Emissions*, Anne Pasek, 2023

   https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/20563051231177906

 > I have been both a scholar of, and participant in, this panoply of
low-carbon digital experiments. In tracing how my thinking has evolved,
I seek to provide a self-reflexive assessment of what we might be
responding to through these practices and what the role of climate
anxiety is or should be in guiding such efforts. While remaining
sympathetic to these behavioral shifts, I explore how an emphasis on
discrete actions could risk misapprehending the material character of
the digital systems we seek to change, overattributing both
responsibility and agency to users.

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
KDE Internal Communications & KDE Eco Community Manager

Generally available Monday-Thursday from 10-16h CET/CEST. Outside of
these times it may take a little longer for me to respond.

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!
Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @be4foss at floss.social