Community Lab (KDAB Berlin) | Sprint Sat. 2 April 11:00-19:00

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Tue Mar 22 14:26:33 GMT 2022

Hi all,

on 2 April we will be setting up the community lab at KDAB Berlin for
measuring the energy consumption of Free Software applications!

We are currently planning a small event, but if you are interested in
joining please be in touch. Everyone is welcome and I will do my best to
accommodate all interested community members :) For those who are not in
Berlin but would be interested in joining, contact me as we may have
some funding to support travel to the Sprint.

If you are not in Berlin but would be interested in setting up a lab
near you, let's talk. There are certainly ways we can support each other
during the lab setup, it is just a matter of planning.

Details are below, including Corona policy for in-person attendance.

Very much looking forward to it!

Your community manager,
Joseph

*What*: Community lab setup for measuring the energy consumption of Free
Software. For details and discussion:
https://invent.kde.org/joseph/be4foss/-/issues/25

*When*: Sprint, Saturday 2 April 11:00 -- 19:00. Current Schedule,
suggestions welcome:

   - 11:00-12:30 Preparation
   - 12:30-13:30 Lunch
   - 13:30-16:30 Set up Computer 1 + PM and Computer 2
   - 16:30-17:00 Break
   - 17:00-19:00 Test set up with usage scenarios

*Corona*: 2G+ for participation, including antigen test before the
event. As for masks, if one person would like us to wear masks, all of
us will. It is important that everyone in attendance feels comfortable,
and this seems the fairest way to ensure that. However, if all attendees
feel ok without wearing masks, that is also an option. We hope the
weather will be nice so we can leave the windows open. Feel free to send
me a private email if you prefer we all wear masks.

*Where*: KDAB Berlin, Reuchlinstraße 11, Berlin
(https://osm.org/go/0MZvks2Rp--?m=)

*What We Have*:

_Hardware_
   - Computer 1 (Data Aggregator): To collect data from power meter
   - Power meter (PM): BE recommend Gude Expert Power Control 1202
series (EUR 300-350)
   - Computer 2 (Reference system): BE recommend Fujitsu Esprimo P958
computer (2019); however, for getting set up we can use any computer and
later invest when needed

_Software_
   - Scenario scripts for Idle Mode and Standard Usage (many are
currently in progress, e.g., GCompris, Kate/Kwrite)
   - PM Python script to read data from Gude power meter:
https://gitlab.rlp.net/a.guldner/mobiles-messgerat

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
BE4FOSS Project and Community Manager (KDE Eco)

---
KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!

Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @BE4FOSS at mastodon.social
Mailing list: