request | are you keeping (unsupported) hardware in use by running Plasma?

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Dec 9 17:47:48 GMT 2022

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss - 09.12.22, 14:01:48 CET:
> So, if you have a moment, and you would like to help me make of list
> of hardware KDE continues to keep in use, can you send me the
> following?
>
> - Distro and desktop environment you use,
> - hardware information (RAM, etc.), and
> - bonus points if you know that other operating systems have
> discontinued support for that hardware (and if possible a link).

Don't know how old you mean. I have Devuan Ceres running on ThinkPad
T520 with Sandybridge CPU/GPU and with 16 GiB RAM. Runs perfectly. Would
work with less RAM, too. I even played some 3D games on it, even at Full
HD resolution, but for that use case I would not really recommend it. At
the moment I don't use this laptop anymore. However I still expect it to
work nicely.

Then I also have a ThinkPad X260 with 8 GB RAM. Also Devuan Ceres.
Plasma runs wonderful. However suspend does not work very well.
Hibernation works, till kernel 5.15, so I still run kernel 5.15. Later
kernels cannot even power off the laptop anymore. However I am not into
bisecting it to a bad commit.

All systems are using SSDs.

So far privately I never ever bought a new laptop from a new laptop
retailer. In Germany it is quite easy to obtain used, often enough
almost new and sometimes even new ThinkPads for much lower prices. I
bought two ThinkPad T14 AMD Gen 1 laptops for prices much much lower
than retail prices. Including the one I am writing this mail from. For
this one which even had more RAM than what I would normally have bought
- 32 GiB - I easily saved 800 Euro compared to buying it as new. And it
did not really make a difference. The laptop looked as if it was new.

Basically I'd say: Any hardware within the last 10 years that Linux
supports nicely will work nicely with Plasma as well. This topic IMHO is
much more what hardware Linux runs well on. If Linux and X.org/Wayland
run well, Plasma will to. I strongly recommend SSDs also for used
systems. As minimum I'd recommend 4 GiB of RAM. Plasma can go lower than
that, I think. But if you like to open a few apps its better to have at
least 4 GiB of RAM I'd say. 16 GiB however is more than many people
need. Whether Linux still runs well on old hardware can be a hit or miss
experience at least regarding to some of the functionality. Like newer
Linux kernels not being able to switch of a ThinkPad X260 and thus you'd
need to switch off with power button after hibernation image is written.
I even still have a ThinkPad T42 with Radeon graphics. But that is not
so much fun anymore, as it started to have gfx driver issues. I think
its it and miss, cause Linux kernel developers usually do not work on
(very) old hardware at least when it comes to Intel/AMD X64 platforms.
So they won't notice when a change in a driver breaks an old system.

Whether any of these are not supported by Microsoft Windows anymore I
don't know and frankly I don't care, you'd need to research that for
yourself. I bet that ThinkPad T520 may easily be too old to run Windows
11. It does have a TPM and UEFI… however I would not be surprised if
Windows 11 required something in firmware that it does not provide, like
TPM v2 or whatnot.

Ciao,
--
Martin