DISCUSSION: Making sure screen readers are available during setup

Joshua Goins josh at redstrate.com
Fri Oct 6 22:33:20 BST 2023

Hello,

I've been doing some screen reader things recently (such as the recommendation
to pre-install Orca, which some distributions have already picked up on) and
wanted to remind distros with an installer to look into making sure they are
accessible to those who need screen readers.

I was prompted to do this because I tried to add it to plasma-welcome, but
Nate reminded me that that it can be skipped and it would be best to do it
early in the process of setting up a computer anyway. (Maybe once plasma-
welcome can do more installer-y things I can explore that again!)

I need to explore some distro installers and see, but I'm curious how many can
at least prompt for enabling screen reading? If your distribution supports
that I would like to hear (or maybe you can push on someone else to implement
it!)

By the way, if you want to enable it in the KDE session if a user explicitly
enabled it in your setup that's easy to do. KAccess (the accessibility daemon)
reads for the Enabled key the [ScreenReader] in kaccessrc, however
distributions prefer to set those 🙂

Thanks,
Joshua Goins