Please do not ship with Synaptics touchpad drivers by default

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Mon Oct 2 22:51:24 BST 2023

Hello distro folks!

This email is a heads-up that we've completed the removal of Plasma's
configuration GUI for the old Synaptics touchpad drivers:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1509

If you are still shipping these old and unmaintained drivers by default,
please stop doing it for Plasma 6 and switch to Libinput instead, or
else users will have no way to configure their touchpads.

I would even go so far as to recommend no longer packaging these drivers
at all, to prevent the possibility of users ending up in a bad state.

Thanks as always for the packaging work!

Nate