New dependency on rust in akonadi-search

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Wed May 17 10:48:27 BST 2023

On Mon, May 15, 2023, at 12:20 PM, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 9:36 AM Carl Schwan <carl at carlschwan.eu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi Carl,
>

>> I'm planning to add a rust dependency to akonadi-search to parse html email in
>> a safer way. Motivation for that is that I'm getting regularly crashed for the
>> akonadi search indexer because it's parsing untrusted html emails from the
>> internet. So instead of using QTextDocument which wasn't created for parsing
>> untrusted html, it's using the html parser from servo which is spec compliant
>> and better handle broken html.
>>
>> Here is the MR in question:
>> https://invent.kde.org/pim/akonadi-search/-/merge_requests/20
>>
>> This uses the Corrosion library to integrate with cmake and c++ which is also
>> used by another Gear package: Angelfish for the adblock feature and I was
>> thinking about also adding to NeoChat for providing search in e2ee rooms via
>> the seshat library[1]. Dependency updates of the rust packaging is handled by
>> gitlab-dependabot[2] which should ensure everything stays up to date for the
>> rust dependencies.
>
> To my knowledge, we haven't done any configuration to allow Dependabot to run on invent.kde.org.
> It isn't something included within Gitlab itself so this would require configuration before it can be confirmed to be working correctly.
I currently run the small daemon on my server. It's basically just a docker compose
script: https://dependabot-gitlab.gitlab.io/dependabot/ with my gitlab secret key.

I want to play a bit more with the configs to also take care of updating the website dependency
automatically and then we could think about moving that to a kde server as it is quite
helpful for more projects in kde.

Cheers,
Carl