New dependency on rust in akonadi-search

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Sun May 14 22:35:57 BST 2023

Hi,

I'm planning to add a rust dependency to akonadi-search to parse html email in
a safer way. Motivation for that is that I'm getting regularly crashed for the
akonadi search indexer because it's parsing untrusted html emails from the
internet. So instead of using QTextDocument which wasn't created for parsing
untrusted html, it's using the html parser from servo which is spec compliant
and better handle broken html.

Here is the MR in question:
https://invent.kde.org/pim/akonadi-search/-/merge_requests/20

This uses the Corrosion library to integrate with cmake and c++ which is also
used by another Gear package: Angelfish for the adblock feature and I was
thinking about also adding to NeoChat for providing search in e2ee rooms via
the seshat library[1]. Dependency updates of the rust packaging is handled by
gitlab-dependabot[2] which should ensure everything stays up to date for the
rust dependencies.

The dependency would be for now only recommanded but not required to give some
times for distros too adapt their packaging. Hopefully since the kernel and
many GNOME apps use rust, the infrastructure for packaging rust apps should be
in place nowadays. I will also mark bug reports with backtrace pointing to
crash inside QTextDocument (e.g. the one in the MR descritopn) as downstream
issues, as their is little I can do to fix this sort of issues upstream.

Cheers,
Carl

[1]: https://github.com/matrix-org/seshat
[2]: https://dependabot-gitlab.gitlab.io/dependabot/