Can we depend on timedated?

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Thu Jul 20 10:18:03 BST 2023

Hi everyone,

the other day I was looking into the date and time KCM which is still
using kdelibs4support and thus cannot be built for Plasma 6 at the moment.

While considering what effort it would take to rewrite it in QML, I
found that the way the time, date, timezone, etc is set is quite
complicated with KAuth and various binaries that are called. So my
question is, to make our lives easier:

Can we depend on timedated, or rather, the DBus service provided under
the org.freedesktop.timedate1 service on the system bus to delegate all
the complicated work there?

Are there distributions or platforms (FreeBSD?) we support that do not
provide this? Is there a replacement shim available that talks the same
protocol?

Cheers
Kai Uwe