KDE Qt Patch Collection - Tarballs

A. Wilcox awilfox at adelielinux.org
Sun Feb 5 18:20:57 GMT 2023

On Oct 12, 2022, at 1:15 PM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 2:12 PM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org <mailto:bcooksley at kde.org>> wrote:

>>> But I'm going to use this to make a point here: I asked for
>>> tag-releases of the KDE Qt patch set earlier this year because the
>>> current situation is a huge mess[1]. The advice I continue to receive
>>> from KDE developers is to just fetch HEAD and ship that. Aside from
>>> being absolutely nuts to keep track of, you're telling us that the KDE
>>> GitLab instance can't handle it.
>>

>> Actual Git clones should be used.
>>

> Most of us are not going to do that, since our tooling is optimized
> around tarballs. When I say "fetching HEAD" I mean pulling from master
> using the tarball generator URL.

This came up in Adélie.  One of our packagers tried to just copy the Alpine recipe and I stressed that KDE does *not* support this workflow and this would get us in trouble.  (I thought perhaps Alpine had a pass.)

The solution I came up with that we are using is a patch file created by git.  It requires a single git clone each time there is a new KDE patch release, then you just create a patch.  The tooling I wrote names each one `kde-lts.patch` in its respective packaging directory.

I’m not saying this is a great flow, but it is one that is automatable and repeatable.

Best,
-A.

--
A. Wilcox (they/them)