Plasma welcome wizard plans

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 21 20:47:39 BST 2022

Hi Nate,

Doing this one with my Ubuntu Studio hat on.

On Monday, September 19, 2022 5:23:33 PM PDT Nate Graham wrote:
> Hello distro folks!
>
> A few of us have been working on a welcome wizard for Plasma; see
> https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-welcome. The idea is to be an
> onboarding experience to teach people basics about what KDE and Plasma
> weare, how to get started using the system, how to get involved and
> donate, and so on. It would also be used to show release notes after
> upgrade.
>
> I know some of you represent distros that already have their own
> first-run wizards. We don't want the user to see two wizards, so would
> you prefer to continue showing your own wizard and don't show the KDE
> one (which is perfectly fine), or to migrate the content in yours to one
> or more new pages the KDE one, should such a thing become possible by
> supplying custom distro-specific pages?
>

> Nate

For a while now, and it's no secret since OMG! Ubuntu published an article
about it about four years ago, but we (Ubuntu Studio) had been working on a
welcome app four years ago that never really got off the ground. Back then we
were on Xfce and two years ago we switched to Plasma as our DE.

Having a fully-customizable welcome app would be very... "welcome", but it
would have to be modular. I like what the calamares installer has done where
the base package looks for files in specific locations for its modules and
customizations, but those files are installed by a separate package.

Right now, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears as though everything in
this app is hard-coded into the binary itself. That's problematic as it leaves
very little for customization from a distribution standpoint. What I'd like to
see is something where these pages that are hardcoded can be enabled/disabled
via some sort of configuration file. For instance, if a /usr/share/plasma-
welcome directory with the necessary distribution assets and plasma-
welcome.json file would exist with the proper configuration were to exist to
specify the configuration, that would be fairly acceptable.

In summary, I think this would be excellent if it were modular and
customizable for the distribution. Ubuntu Studio would use this to introduce
various features and aspects of the included applications, whereas I'm sure
Kubuntu, which is more Plasma-centric, would probably make few customizations.

That said, I look forward to seeing where this project goes, and I'll be
watching it closely.

Erich
--
Erich Eickmeyer