Plasma welcome wizard plans

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue Sep 20 15:02:25 BST 2022

On 9/20/22 03:33, Luca Beltrame wrote:
> Il 20/09/22 02:23, Nate Graham ha scritto:
>
> Hello Nate,
>
>> one (which is perfectly fine), or to migrate the content in yours to
>> one or more new pages the KDE one, should such a thing become possible
>> by supplying custom distro-specific pages?
>
> That is the question I wanted to ask: is this (potentially, even if
> months down the road) meant to be used also by integrators
> (distributions and others), should the possibility to do so arise?

Yes, we're open to the idea of distros shipping custom pages in it.

Ideally we want to keep it mostly a welcome/onboarding wizard rather
than throwing a bunch of configuration and setup in the user's face
though. But it already has two pages where you can set up online
accounts and turn on telemetry if you want, so that ship has sailed.

Just keep in mind that the user can skip it or close it at any time, so
nothing really important should go in it. For example, "agree to this
licensing agreement so you can legally use the software" or "install
these media codecs so you can actually play your files and DVDs" would
be things that I think are more important and should live in an
unskippable pre-login wizard, not a skippable post-login wizard.

Nate