Plasma welcome wizard plans

Bart Ribbers bribbers at disroot.org
Tue Sep 20 10:15:34 BST 2022

Hi!

> A few of us have been working on a welcome wizard for Plasma; see
> https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-welcome. The idea is to be an
> onboarding experience to teach people basics about what KDE and Plasma
> weare, how to get started using the system, how to get involved and
> donate, and so on. It would also be used to show release notes after
> upgrade.

That sounds good, very useful to have!

> I know some of you represent distros that already have their own
> first-run wizards. We don't want the user to see two wizards, so would
> you prefer to continue showing your own wizard and don't show the KDE
> one (which is perfectly fine), or to migrate the content in yours to one
> or more new pages the KDE one, should such a thing become possible by
> supplying custom distro-specific pages?

Exactly this is currently happening for postmarketOS and Phosh, we have
our own welcome app there but upstream is currently making their own.
Right now we don't show upstream's version in favor of our own, but that
means we miss out on what upstream offers.
On the Plasma Mobile side however we currently show no welcome app. I've
always wanted one but since our own app uses GTK, it would never really
fit as is. Personally I'd prefer adding our own thing to "whatever
upstream does", so in this case distro-specific pages to your welcome
wizard. We would very much appreciate it if this were made possible.

Talking about all this makes me realize that I don't even know if this
wizard will be made mobile-friendly, will it?

Cheers,
Bart