New releases for bugfixes

Antonio Rojas arojas at archlinux.org
Tue Sep 6 22:46:16 BST 2022

El viernes, 26 de agosto de 2022 11:27:16 (CEST) Adriaan de Groot escribió:
> On Friday, 26 August 2022 01:35:55 CEST Ahmad Samir wrote:
> >  From a packager's point of view, I think it is the same amount of work to
> > grab a commit from upstream git and rebuild a package or to package a new
> > point release.
>
> For FreeBSD things, it works like this:

> At the point of the patch / bugfix release, the amount of work is about the
> same: edit one or two lines, build, done. But having multiple tweaks out
> there, and different versions of tarballs while **also** having regular
> "everything is back in version-number-sync now" releases is administratively
> more complicated.

I have to agree here - from my packaging POV using tarballs that deviate from the general versioning scheme makes things harder as it will cause conflicts with our packaging scripts. So I would appreciate if next to these tarballs we still get a list of commits so distros can decide whether they want to use tarballs or backports.