New releases for bugfixes

Ahmad Samir a.samirh78 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 20:35:55 BST 2022

On 26/8/22 11:27, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Friday, 26 August 2022 01:35:55 CEST Ahmad Samir wrote:
>>   From a packager's point of view, I think it is the same amount of work to
>> grab a commit from upstream git and rebuild a package or to package a new
>> point release.
>
> For FreeBSD things, it works like this:
>
> - Email on this list saying "please backport <hash> for <thing>"
>    - Figure out which package contains <thing> (usually easy, since invent
> names map in a straightforward fashion to FreeBSD package names)
>    - Download the <hash> as a patch from invent (always more complicated than I
> want it to be because I forget how to make GitLab give me a raw patch)
>    - Add the patch in the files/ directory of the relevant package
>    - Bump PORTREVISION
>    - Build locally
>    - Commit
> - Email on this list saying "there is a new .tweak release of <thing>"
>    - Figure out which package contains <thing> (usually easy, since invent
> names map in a straightforward fashion to FreeBSD package names)
>    - Disconnect the package from the global versioning scheme for KDE packages
> (there's one setting that says "all of plasma is 22.08.1", so if there is a
> single part that has a different version, it needs special handling)
>    - Set DISTVERSION specifically
>    - Fetch the new version and update checksums
>    - Build locally
>    - Commit
>    - Some weeks later, at the next non-tweak release, remember to reconnect to
> the global versioning scheme
>
> At the point of the patch / bugfix release, the amount of work is about the
> same: edit one or two lines, build, done. But having multiple tweaks out
> there, and different versions of tarballs while **also** having regular
> "everything is back in version-number-sync now" releases is administratively
> more complicated.
>
> [ade]

IMHO, ultimately, who does the work decides; it's the same amount of work for distros either way,
however it's more work for the release teams; do they agree/have-time to this extra work? AFAIK (I
could be wrong), we have David Faure handling KF releases, and Albert and Heiko Becker handling the
Gears releases.

Regards,
Ahmad Samir