C++/library requirements for Plasma 5.26

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 14:33:55 BST 2022

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 8:09 AM Nicolas Fella <nicolas.fella at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for Plasma 5.26 I would like to make use of some C++20 features, in
> particular coroutines.
>
> In terms of compiler requirements this should translate to requiring GCC
> 10 or Clang 11.
>
> In addition we would like to require the qcoro library
> (https://github.com/danvratil/qcoro). As per
> https://github.com/danvratil/qcoro/issues/85 the library can be
> considered stable and is regularly released.
>
> Is there any distribution that plans to ship Plasma 5.26 that cannot
> fulfill these requirements?
>
> To test whether your system provides the necessary bits you can try
> building
> https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/1023 or
> https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-nm/-/merge_requests/124
>
> Let me know of there are any problems with this plan.

As far as I can tell, we shouldn't have any problems with Fedora or
RHEL/CentOS 9. RHEL/CentOS 9 uses GCC 11 and all currently supported
Fedora releases are GCC 11 or newer.

We will no longer be able to offer updated versions of KDE Plasma for
RHEL/CentOS 8 (GCC 8), though we might stop doing it anyway if we
can't figure out how to work around the need for newer wayland and
wayland-protocols.