libdrm requirement for Plasma 5.26

Fabian Vogt fabian at ritter-vogt.de
Tue Aug 16 15:11:07 BST 2022

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 16. August 2022, 14:06:49 CEST schrieb Neal Gompa:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 3:38 AM Vlad Zahorodnii <vlad.zahorodnii at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > We would like to bump the required libdrm version in Plasma 5.26 to 2.4.112
> >
> > Are distros planning to ship Plasma 5.26 fine with this decision?
> >

> This is probably *not* fine for us in Fedora. For one, this may
> prevent us from shipping Plasma 5.26 to existing stable releases.
> Additionally, it would *definitely* block us from shipping Plasma 5.26
> to RHEL/CentOS users.
>
> We will have libdrm 2.4.112 in Fedora 37 and newer, but the removal of
> libkms.so.1 means I don't know if we can ship it for Fedora 36 and
> older. I don't know how that will play out for RHEL/CentOS either.

Unless libkms depends on libdrm < 2.4.112, you could maybe keep the old libkms
around. Then again, nothing really depends on it, so if there's a process to
delete a package, that might qualify... Alternatively you could try what
distros in that situation (stability but need recent changes) usually do:
Backport patches!

> I imagine that this would also be a problem for Plasma 5.26 on
> openSUSE Leap too, though they don't officially ship that combination
> outside of the openSUSE Argon spin.

Yep, so we'll probably just supply the new libdrm2 package alongside Plasma
in the additional repositories.

Cheers,
Fabian