Maliit as Plasma's on-screen keyboard

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Jun 25 15:37:46 BST 2021

Dear distros,
It's been pointed out to me that we never formally explained our
relationship with Maliit Keyboard and some are not packaging it yet.

Some time ago we switched our Plasma Wayland from using a built-in Qt
VirtualKeyboard instance to use the standard input_method_v1 protocol.
For this we have been mostly testing using the Maliit Keyboard.

https://github.com/maliit/keyboard/

We (Plasma) would recommend making it available to your users if you
support touch screen devices based on Wayland. Having it available by
default would be a nice touch.

To my knowledge, this has been used for a while now by Plasma Mobile
and it should be possible to have it packaged easily.

Thanks!
Aleix