Announcing KDE's Qt 5 Patch Collection

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Apr 7 18:55:42 BST 2021

El dimecres, 7 d’abril de 2021, a les 9:01:46 CEST, Antonio Rojas va escriure:
> El martes, 6 de abril de 2021 11:08:42 (CEST), Aleix Pol escribió:
> > Dear community,
> > We have some exciting news about the continuity and long-term health
> > of Qt5 -- the LTS, and at this point the previous Qt version. The KDE
> > community, we are setting up and maintaining a repository with the
> > latest Open Source Qt 5.15 release and a collection of patches for
> > bugfixes that are relevant for Open Source users of Qt5.
>
> Thanks, this is really convenient for packagers. Would it be possible to
> revert the 5.15.3 version bump commits in these branches? When building the
> tip of the branches one gets 5.15.3-versioned libraries, which is
> misleading, and makes it impossible to drop-in replace the upstream 5.15.2
> version with it without rebuilding a lot of stuff (at least all other Qt
> modules and anything else that hard-depends on a particular version, such
> as akonadi or skrooge)

The idea of the patch collection is that it's "patches we need" on top of what was latest available publicly as Free Software, I understand the version change is somehow annoying, but what was latest available publicly as Free Software already calls itself Qt 5.15.3

I think you should just embrace it, i mean after all qtbase kde/5.15 branch has something like 170 patches on top of 5.15.2 (only 2 are "ours"), so calling itself 5.15.2 seems even worse than calling itself 5.15.3 to me.

Cheers,
  Albert